The holiday season is supposed to be a time of joy and family. Far too often it is in actuality the season of grumpiness and over-indulgence. Could it be that our poor eating feeds the ‘grinch’ in us? What if all the others we are around (collogues, family and friends) were not the problem, but the problem has its origin within us? Let’s make it a priority to eat well, feel well, and be life giving this holiday season.
Make the decision of first giving yourself the gift of good health. This year, with a few mindful choices and the innovative offerings from Grain Free Mama’s, you can relish the festivities without compromising on health and wellness. Feed yourself well and then have it within you to be cheerful, kind, and joyful to others.
Embrace Mindful Eating
The holidays can be a whirlwind of parties and feasts. It’s easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle (shopping, parties, etc.) which leads us to overindulge. We try to put too much into our days and end up with blood sugar crashes. This is when our bodies are sending us urgent messages (‘We are starving!’ ‘We are going to pass out!’ Eat anything now or we will die!’) So, we reach for whatever is near with little to no thought about the aftereffects.
However, by being mindful of what you eat, you can enjoy the festivities without the guilt or the health setbacks. The key to doing this successfully is found in the following …
Tips for Mindful Holiday Eating:
- Pack snacks: Put them in your car, purses, work bags, etc. to be able to keep your blood sugar stable. Then you will be clear minded enough to enjoy your holiday favorites in moderation.
- Balance Your Palate: Save the sugar, fruit, and high carb dishes for last. Instead, focus on consuming vegetables, proteins, and healthy fats 1st. Combine your holiday treats with healthy options like fresh vegetables and lean proteins. This will help you to naturally curb your appetite with this vegetable-protein-healthy fat combination that will properly fuel your body. You will then be able to lightly partake in the fruity, sugary, high carb offerings without spiraling your blood sugar into the dreaded spike and drop cycle.
- Stay Hydrated: Did you know that we often mistake thirst for hunger? Yes, sad but so true. Make sure you are cultivating a well-hydrated body this holiday season. (If you aren’t in the habit of drinking plenty of water, do not be alarmed if you must frequent the bathroom more at first. Your body must adjust too. Start this today and then you can hit the holiday season in stride.) This can help control hunger and maintain energy levels.
Incorporating Grain Free Mama’s Products:
More than just a plug for Grain Free Mama’s, all our Crepe and Pizza Crust Mixes have the unique differentiating quality of natural satiation. This plays out this way in your body; instead of you stuffing yourself until you cannot eat any more, our mixes instead keep your blood sugar stable and what happens is that you actually stop eating before you are full because you are satisfied. It is a beautiful thing to experience.
Grain Free Mama’s healthy baking mixes align perfectly with a health-conscious holiday menu. These products are free from edible grass ingredients (gluten free, grain free, sugar free), dairy, soy, botanical nuts, artificial flavors, colors, and preservatives, making them an excellent choice for those with food allergies, dietary restrictions, or anyone looking to eat healthier.
How to Use Grain Free Mama’s products This Holiday:
- Baking with a Twist: Substitute traditional crepes, bread, or wraps with Grain Free Mama’s Crepe Mixes in your holiday sandwiches and wraps. Anything you can put in a sandwich you can put in a crepe. This small change can make a big difference in nutritional value without compromising taste. An added delicious bonus is that the crepe doesn’t overwhelm your tastebuds like traditional bread does, so you end up being able to enjoy the flavors of the insides so much better.
- Healthy Desserts: Experiment with Grain Free Mama’s mixes to create delectable desserts that everyone can enjoy guilt-free. Open for some new ideas? We have many delicious festive recipes in our Food Breakthrough Cookbook, and on the recipe page on our website.
- Creative Snacks: ‘Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.’ (Benjamin Franklin) Pack small snack bags of dried fruit and seeds or nuts and take them with you. There is a delicious recipe for EGIF (Edible Grass Ingredient Free) energy bars in the cookbook. Think grain-free crackers or festive cookies that cater to all dietary needs.
Amidst the holiday hustle, it’s crucial to stay active. Regular physical activity can help balance out the extra holiday eating and reduce stress. Use that gym membership if you have one. For those of you who do not have a gym membership, take a walk every day. Walking not only gets you outside in the fresh air but lifts your mood while you stroll as well.
Easy Ways to Stay Active During the Holidays:
- Family Walks and Walks with Friends: Pre- or post-meal walks are a great way to spend quality time with family and friends while staying active. It is also a great way to spend time together while you are being active (and away from the kitchen).
- Home Workouts: Crank up the music and dance whenever you can. Sing your heart out and move. If you feel self-conscious, do it all by yourself until you are ready to do it with family and friends. Short at-home exercise routines can be effective and don’t require much time. Go on social media or YouTube and find some free offerings.
- Fun Activities: Ice skating, snowball fights, or building a snowman can be fun ways to stay active during the winter if you live where it snows. Play catch, play tag (I loved tag when I was young. Why don’t we have ‘tag’ group gatherings as adults?), etc. if you live where it does not snow. Play board games or cards in the evenings. If you have a toddler, just imitate them. They will love it and you will get a really good workout in.
Mindset and Moderation
Finally, approach the holiday season with an eagerness to celebrate with laughter, appreciation, gratitude, and a giving heart. We are blessed to be alive each and every day. The best prescription for health is to laugh every day and to develop the practice of being grateful for all that we have. Develop a food mindset of moderation and balance. It’s okay to indulge occasionally, but maintaining an overall healthy lifestyle is key.
Strategies for a Balanced Mindset:
- Plan Ahead: If you know you’ll be attending a big holiday feast, plan lighter meals throughout the day. Prepare by having water to drink throughout the day, and nibble on lighter meals and snacks to keep your blood sugar steady.
- Listen to Your Body: Eat when you’re hungry and stop when you’re satisfied, not stuffed. Grain Free Mama’s products help with this. If you aren’t sure you can even ‘hear’ your body speaking to you, then check out our Food Breakthrough Book. It can help to guide you back to a place where you hear your body easily again.
- Enjoy the Moment: Focus on the joy of the season and the company of loved ones, not just the food. Each day you and I are blessed to wake up is a gift. Using our heartfelt moments and experiences, we can build a treasure trove of relationships and memories that will last a lifetime and sustain us through the tougher times. Make it a goal to speak life to all who you encounter this holiday season. You will learn the truth that it is indeed more blessed to give than receive.
Be the change that you want to see. Encourage and inspire your family and friends with words of affirmation. It will warm your heart and theirs.
If you are at a place in your life where you don’t have family or friends to celebrate with, get involved in a community. Grain Free Mama’s has an online community, A Place At The Table. We learn, grow, and share everything healthy eating and the truth behind the cleaver marketing together. There’s a seat waiting for you. Learn more here.
In conclusion, the holiday season doesn’t have to be a time of overindulgence that leads to regrets in the new year. The foods we eat affect our mood, disposition, and perspective. Be a blessing and be blessed. It starts with the type of fuel you are running on. By incorporating Grain Free Mama’s products into your festive meals, staying active, and practicing mindful eating and moderation, you can enjoy all the season has to offer while still giving yourself the gift of good health.
Here’s to a healthy, happy, and delicious holiday season!